Recent announcements by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India indicate that FBOs that use third-party manufacturers have to meet the requirements for licenses under the “Relabeller” category. Licenses/Registrations for Suppliers and Marketers have been disabled. Relabeller’s license application process is described in this article.
Definition of Relabeller
The repaeller is considered a manufacturer and shall not have any manufacturing premises of their own. Manufacturers who hold a valid FSSAI license can manufacture and pack a Relabeller’s product.
FSSAI License for Relabeller
If Relabeller operates on more than one premise, only one license will be issued. As per the FSS Licensing and Registration Regulation, 2011, registered offices/head offices of resellers operating in multiple states may receive a single central license.
Licensing Regulations 2011 contemplate a KOB of “re-labeling (produced by a third party under own packaging and labeling)” as a prerequisite for get fssai license
In the Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS), food businesses are able to apply for licenses under various KOBs, as well as be given information about how each KOB operates.
FoSCoS recognizes “re-labeler” as a separate KOB and licenses must be obtained under the “relabeller” category, which is recognized on the website.
Conditions to Issue FSSAI License for Relabeller
The following are the conditions Issue FSSAI License for Relabeller:
- The product is not manufactured by Relabelled itself; it is manufactured by third-party manufacturers under an agreement/contract.
- The labeller has a responsibility to provide manufacturers with all the Schedule 4 (General Hygienic and Sanitary Practices) requirements.
- For all products manufactured and packed under his/her license, a labeler is responsible for each safety and standard
- There are different food categories for which a relabeller can obtain a single license
- Labels for products sold by a relabeller must include both the address of the relabellers and the manufacturer’s or processor’s license number
- A Relabeller license will include details of all manufacturing/processing locations, along with product categories, processing capacity, and FSS licensing numbers
- Licensing numbers must be updated when locations, working capacities, or product categories change
- It is the responsibility of the relabeller to appoint an officer to ensure compliance with licensing requirements across all of its units
- Maintaining FSMS conditions within a manufacturing or processing unit will be the responsibility of that unit
- In order to qualify as a relabeller, a recall and traceability plan must be submitted with the application
The fee structure to get FSSAI License for Relabeller is tabulated here for reference:
|1||Manufacturing License||Rs.2000 to 7500 per year|
|2||Registration Certificate||Rs.100 per year|
|3||Modification of License and Certificate||Rs.1000 for license and Rs.100 for registration|
|4||Renewal of License and Certificate||Same as New license/Registration|
The followings documents need to be furnished to get FSSAI License for Relabeller
- Proof of Expected Annual Turnover
- full address and contact details of Directors
- Photo I.D and address proof issued by the Government authority of Proprietor / Partner / Director(s) / Authorized Signatory.
- Proof of possession of premises. (Sale deed/ Rent agreement/ Electricity bill, etc.).
- Partnership Deed/Self Declaration for Proprietorship/Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm.
- Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
- NOC & Copy of License from manufacture
Read more about Revised List of Documents Required for FSSAI License
As mentioned above, the current KOB categories on the FoSCoS website, “re-labeler” is recognized as a separate KOB and one needs to apply under the “relabeller” category for obtaining a relabeller license.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) announced that the creation of FoSCoS user-id is not required before applying for license/registration. The user can apply directly from FoSCoS Homepage.
An application number with 17 digits will serve as the login ID. It has been enabled in the FoSCoS to provide contact details for primary and secondary users.
- To apply for a license or registration, click on License/Registration and Apply for License/Registration on the left menu after logging in.
- In the State menu, select Relabeller Business Type.
- Before proceeding, read the instructions.
- Upload all required documents after providing all mandatory details (refer to above).
- Click on the submit button to proceed after paying the fee with available modes.
- A receipt with a 17-digit reference number will be generated after the payment is completed.
- By visiting the FoSCoS Homepage, foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in, users can track the status of their applications.